Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Pukeko in a Ponga Tree - my all-time-fav Christmas song

I wish I could put the pictures online for you - sigh - but here are the words anyway...

For a uniquely New Zealand Christmas song, sing Sir Kingi Ihaka’s version of the Twelve Days of Christmas. Ihaka was a Maori songwriter, broadcaster and interpreter who wrote this version of the song in 1981.
On the twelfth day of Christmas
My true love gave to me
Twelve piupius swinging
Eleven haka lessons
Ten juicy fish heads
Nine sacks of pipis
Eight plants of puha
Seven eels a swimming
Six pois a twirling
Five - big - fat - pigs !
Four huhu grubs
Three flax kits
Two kumera
And a pukeko in a ponga tree.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Our family of 5 currently lives in Christchurch, New Zealand. I love being here because of the weather, the clean water, Dad living 5 minutes from us, and our Ward. I miss my friends and family overseas and invite you all to come here for a holiday!