Thursday, February 24, 2011

Today I worked at the USAR headquarters, in the food tent

You can see a few navy boys in the foreground and then teams of people from around the world working to find the people trapped in the buildings. You can also see a few of my lovely students manning the catering tent...
Here are my Japanese boys heading out for another shift in the rubble... Take care guys and I'll bring you bananas when you get back xxx

Changeover at the Civil Defense unit


These wonderful Fire Fighters from Auckland know Dad... They have been here since Tuesday when the earthquake struck and they are just working around the clock. Thanks guys xxx



This is the Aussie's sleeping quarters. As you can see they come back from their shift, eat, shower (not in that order actually) then strip down and get into their tents and sleep on the hard ground. It broke my heart to see them give up so much for us, and they were thanking us for bringing them food from the catering tent...


We have men coming from all over the world. There are many many crates like this on the ground - not only did they send rescue workers but they also brought their own rations, tents, gear etc. Amazing.

These boys from Japan were just so nice. I came past several times with hot food, snacks, drinks and fruit. They were *so polite* and as you can see they are tired. They never came down to the catering tent but were content to just eat their rations. They started taking pictures of me so I got my camera out and said I wanted pictures of them for my friends back in Japan. Oh and did I mention they were totally organized and clean? They even take their shoes off outside their tents :)

Oh yer, the Aussies made themselves at home! And every time I came around with chocolate fish I got a hard time about it... "Feeeeesh? What's feeeeesh?" and the bananas - they LOVED them! Turns out they are a bit scarce in Australia right now because of the floods in QLD. And Shane, I made sure they got some premium quality Verkerks beef jerky. They were a bit unsure about what it was but when I told them I didn't know an Aussie male that would turn it down... they took another look, got excited, translated it into Australian (I forget what they called it) and then took the two full boxes off my hands. They also pounced on me every time I did a coffee round.... I was thinking of you every time I headed over to their HQ.



These are the Aussie tents from a distance. You can't really get how big this operation is from the pictures I have posted but let me just say it is a tent village.

This is the entrance to the Japanese camp. You can see the canine section - we didn't see any dogs until the change of shift at 6pm then they were everywhere. Perfectly behaved and silent. (Gotta love dogs...)

Chuck this picture is for you. Before I got to the tent village I saw all these little caravans in a lot that was once a building - but it is now cleared away.


This picture speaks for itself really...
I'd love to write a bit about my experience working down at the USAR headquarters, but I've spent 7 hours on my feet and I'm FILTHY (lucky lucky me, I can now have a sponge bath with a facecloth and some cold water) and really need some sleep. I will say however that I was moved by the cheerfulness of all the rescue workers, and their willingness to help. I was also touched by the love and generosity of the Brethren community in setting up the catering tent and organizing shifts of people to work around the clock feeding and caring for the men. It was a priviledge and a blessing to (invite myself) to work there today.
xx

4 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you so much for sharing with us here in Oregon (America). We are all cheering your amazing efforts to keep your blog updated and the sacrifice and efforts of all those helping. I wake up every morning to see what news Candace has posted. I'm glad your family is physically unharmed and you are able to get some rations and water. Can't imagine what ya'll have been through, and are continuing to experience. The photos tell the sad tale as well as the heroic efforts in a dramatic way. You all are in our prayers.

Cami said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. My family is now into checking your blog updates!
It's so inspiring that so many would leave their country to help out. Wish I could come help! Did the USA show up? Did you find a camp shower? I think about you everytime I get a drink from the tap. Best of luck and you continue to be in our prayers!

Suzy said...

Thanks for commenting! Yes the Americans are here - and everyone loves them. They were throwing a baseball around with our Civil Defense guys this afternoon. I heard cheering every few minutes... I think that was when someone dropped the ball. They can sure throw it a long way! It was going clear across the park that is set up as the Command Centre. When I was there this evening they were tucking into beef surloin and salad sandwiches (someone donated 75kg of salmon and some amazing huge beef surloin fillets - so they sure are being fed well). They are working unbelievably hard and we are soooooo thankful for them being here. xxx

Unknown said...

Suzy, I am so touched by your determination and heartache! I wish I could do something to help! I'll be praying for you and your family. Love you!!

About Me

My photo
Our family of 5 currently lives in Christchurch, New Zealand. I love being here because of the weather, the clean water, Dad living 5 minutes from us, and our Ward. I miss my friends and family overseas and invite you all to come here for a holiday!